TOM BROWNE MIDDLE SCHOOL STUDENT DRESS CODE
In order to ensure the safety and security of our students as trends and fads change, it may become necessary for campus administration to amend this dress code. Students will be notified of changes if they should occur. Final determination of acceptable dress and grooming rests with the principal or designee (as specified in CCISD Student and Parent Handbook). Students are expected to follow all guidelines involving attire.
1. Skirts, dresses or jumpers must be no shorter than three inches above the knee. There should not be a cut or slit in the clothing that extends beyond the three-inch limit.
2. Shorts or skorts may be worn. They must be no shorter than three inches above the knee. Gym shorts are not allowed, except during PE/Athletics.
3. Appropriate footwear must be worn. For example, athletic shoes are appropriate for athletics and PE classes; only closed toed shoes for all other classes. Footwear that has toes reinforced with steel, hard plastics, or similar materials and footwear that has rollers, such as heelies, are prohibited.
4. Hair must be neat and clean. Extreme hairstyles such as Mohawks, spiked hair, or designs and extremely unnatural hair colors are not permitted because they cause distractions.
5. All head coverings are prohibited; however, exceptions may be granted by the campus administrator.
6. Tank tops, muscle shirts, halter tops, spaghetti straps, garments that expose the back or midriffs, low-cut blouses/tops, blouses/tops exposing cleavage, and see-through garments without a shell or shirt worn under are prohibited.
7. Pictures, emblems, or writings on clothing, possessions, or the body that (a) are lewd, offensive, vulgar, or obscene, or (b) advertise or depict tobacco products, alcoholic beverages, drugs, or any other substance prohibited under FNCF (Legal).
8. All oversized clothing shall not be worn to school. Specifically, “bagging” or “sagging” pants are prohibited. All pants are to be worn at the waist. Tight-fitting pants (e.g. tights, leggings, bicycle pants or spandex) are also prohibited. Belts must be put through belt loops on the pants.
9. Dangling key rings and chains will not be permitted. This includes studs, nose rings, and eyebrow jewelry.
10. No gang-related attire will be permitted. This will be designated by individual campuses.
If the principal determines that a student’s grooming violates the school dress code, the student will be given the opportunity to correct the problem at school. If not corrected, the student may be assigned to go to in-school suspension for the remainder of the day or until the problem is corrected or until a parent or designee brings an acceptable change of clothing to the school.
The principal may regulate the dress and grooming of students who participate in school-related extracurricular activities. Students who violate dress and grooming standards established for such an activity may be removed or excluded from the activity for a period determined by the principal and may be subject to other disciplinary action, as specified in the Student Code of Conduct.